By Ann Nichols Roulac, from her book: Power, Passion, and Purpose – http://www.readerviews.com/InterviewRoulac.html
What we experience as stress is actually distress, fueled by
- feelings of loss
- unfulfilled desires, and
- loss of control
Such struggles drain energy that could be used in much more productive ways.
How many of the following energy drainers are familiar to you?
- Chronic over-commitment – Trying to do and be everything to your colleagues, family, friends, children, parents, neighbours, or community
- Worry – Fretting over what happened yesterday or what may happen tomorrow
- Inertia – Holding on to relationships, jobs, and other attachments that no longer serve you.
- Judgment – Criticizing others and then obsessing about how to fix or charge them.
- Low Self-Esteem – Worrying about what others think of you.
- Incompletion – Projects hanging over you that you’ve started and never completed.
- Unmet Expectations – Trying to live up to others’ or your own abnormally high standards